Would you like to invite your future older self for a visit? Here are some questions to contemplate:
When you attempt to visualize your older self, who and what do you see?
- How much older are you than you are now?
- How far into deep old age are you able to travel in your imagination?
- When you try to imagine your future older self, how do you feel? What sensations do experience in your body? (and where are the sensations located?)
- When you imagine your future older self, where are you? What are your surroundings? Where do you live?
- What are your hopes for your future older self (and what are your fears)?
- How will you live fully in your older body, in whatever state your older body happens to be?
- What are some ways in which you can experience enjoyment, freedom, and passion…in your aging body?
- Who are your co-creatures in later life? With whom do you spend time and enjoy life?
- What is the quality of mind — the form of consciousness — that you bring to your aging experience? To being an old person?
- What do you see as your purpose in your later years?
- What new things is your future older self learning and experiencing?
- What does your future older self consider to be a “good day”?
- What changes in your thinking and acting do you need to make in your current life in order to have the embodied old age you envisage?
- What does your future older self want to tell your present self?
- If you invited your future older self over for a cup of tea or a glass of wine, what would you like to ask him or her?
This is what my future older self tells me every time she comes for a visit: Embrace your aging journey, wherever it may take you!